Monday, April 6, 2009

In the mommyhood.

Tonight I had the privilege of having a "mommy night out". These nights are always fabulous... and few and far between. I had dinner with two hot mommies --R and M. :)
We had a delicious Italian feast and some of the best girl talk EVER! R and M are both moms to boys... and like me are trying to figure the whole mommy thing out.
As we chatted about the ins and outs of wifey-ness and being moms... I sat and looked at them. Both are beautiful, smart, gifted, godly women that are doing a fantastic job as wives and mothers. --Then the subject came up--- Why didn't anyone tell us being a mom would be like this????
I laughed. Because I have thought the same thing... over and over.
Then the thought came to me ... "Girls, when we were in love.... Blissfully in love. And all was perfect with Mr. Right... would we have listened when a woman married 50 years told us...It's not all roses-- honey?"---No I answered for US... Then I asked..."when we were pregnant... would we have listened when someone said, Your gonna have some long nights... and some days your gonna feel like pulling your hair out.. and your probably gonna smell of spit up and have leaky breasts... No I answered for US again... Because we assume that we will wake up with gorgeous hair, perfect makeup, and have these adorably dressed children. We don't think about snotty noses, colic, constipation, diarrhea, terrible two's, or anything in between!
The last two years have shown me more about myself than ever before. And I know there is a lot more to learn and experience. But one thing I know for sure...I'm doing the best I can. I'm being the best mother I know to be... R--so are you. M--you are too!
I'm proud of you. Your both incredible mothers... Your raising men of honor and character. They are going to be proud to call you mom... Thank you for being real. Thank you for showing me that I'm not alone.
Were in this together: mommyhood.

1 comment:

  1. thanks. your title remind me of a trailer for the new tv show...one mother says to another "we all have those days. like we ran out of diapers last week and have been using paper towels and tape" I laughed so hard I nearly peed. ahhh...life. is. good.

    ReplyDelete